By Dante Zuniga-West
As seen in the Jan/Feb 2018 Issue of Bear Hunting Magazine!
It’s a little known fact there are few things in this world that are better than a nice big burger, and the best burgers are made with bear. Here’s a simple, no-nonsense recipe for a spicy and delicious bear burger that is just as good in the cold of winter as it is on the summertime BBQ grill.
- Take one pound of frozen ground bear meat, slice it in to 1-inch rounds, load meat in Ziploc bag, thaw bag in lukewarm water.
- Thinly slice two large crimini mushrooms to quarter-inch rounds.
- Palpate meat in bag, lemon pepper and Johnny’s Seasoning Salt. Continue to mix in sealed Ziploc bag.
- Make thin paddy from meat, place half a slice of pepperjack cheese onto paddy, layer this with jalapenos, then place the other half of cheese on top.
- Make a second patty and cover the first paddy, ensuring all edges are sealed and the paddy is tightly packed.
- Place stuffed paddy in large skillet with a lid. Set stove to medium heat. Cook paddy, then flip paddy and add a slice of pepperjack cheese to top layer of meat when burger has reached medium well.
- Serve on bun with condiments of your choice. We suggest olive oil, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, pickles, lettuce, sautéed mushrooms and tomatoes.
NOTE: This burger is even tastier if you get in the habit of grinding your bear meat with bacon ends. Because everything is better with bacon.