New Jersey Hunt Ends With 589 Bears Taken

New Jersey DEP, Bear Hunting Magazine

Update 12/13/2010:
New Jersey wildlife officials have released the final 2010 bear hunt numbers and 589 bears were killed during the state's six-day hunt that ended over the weekend.

Update 12/11/2010:
Before the final day on Saturday began, 512 black bears had been taken so far in New Jersey. The final totals should be available on Monday.

Update 12/9/2010:
The most recent updated number of bears taken as of 5pm on Wednesday was 426, which brings the number up 40 more from Tuesday.

Update 12/8/2010:
The number of bears killed in the New Jersey bear hunt climbed to 386 by the close of check stations Tuesday, the second day of the hunt. The new number was reported Wednesday morning by the state Division of Fish and Wildlife.

Hunters brought in 264 bear to check stations Monday and 122 by 7 pm on Tuesday. State officials expect that 500 to 700 bears will be killed by the time the six-day hunt is over, said Department of Environmental Protection spokesman Larry Ragonese. “The hunt is pretty much on target right now,” he said.

Original Story From 12/7/2010:
New Jerseys' first bear hunt in five years, began Monday with 264 hunters taking bear, New Jersey DEP officials stated. The largest bear taken on the first day of the hunt was a 661-pound male.

They also released a statement that a protester from New York City was arrested as well. The 67 year-old man was arrested at the Whittingham Wildlife Management Area for refusing to stay in the area reserved for protesters, state police said. He was charged with trespassing and released pending an appearance in the Green Joint Municipal Court. The same man was also arrested for protesting the last New Jersey bear hunt five years ago.

Members of a small group of about 25 people at the Whittingham Wildlife Management Area shouted at hunters as they brought in their bears to be weighed throughout the afternoon. By and large, the protesters, while fervent about their issue, were quite civil. There were no hunting or protester injuries or incidents reported.

The hunt brought in a mix of bears, most of them in the 200-pound range, with one bear taken in Sussex County weighing 367 pounds. A 650-pound bear was brought into Whittingham.

Some light snow flurries fell as hunters took to the woods as the hunt opened just prior to sunrise Monday and will continue through sunset Saturday, December 11th. Hunters have six days to bag one bear of any age or sex.

The week-long hunt, needed to control a growing black bear population estimated at 3,400, is estimated to bring in up to 700 bears during the hunt. The state issued 6,680 bear hunting permits whereas the number of permits allowed for the hunt had been capped at 10,000.

Go Back